Monday, February 13, 2012

Letter of Support: Urban Hens


 My letter of support for urban hens...




 


June 16, 2010

Dear City Alderman,

The purpose of this letter is to show support for Paul Hughes and his initiatives in amending the bylaw that disallows urban hens in Calgary. I urge city council to reconsider their decision regarding the proposed pilot program, move towards the future, and allow it to go forward!

I am the owner of two urban hens, I live in Mount Pleasant, and none of my neighbors (directly beside and in the immediate area) have an issue with my hens. The difference between my neighbors and most of those who oppose the issue is education and exposure. My neighbors do not smell my birds, and the gals only make noise when they lay an egg, and that usually only lasts for two minutes. Hens are silent in the evening, contrary to our beloved K-9 friends, and the droppings are amazing fertilizer, unlike the presents cats leave us in the garden.

I have had many interesting debates on this topic with others and the one argument that always changes their mind is…come to my home, meet my chickens, and see if their smell or noise is a bother. Once they see it is not a stinky barnyard full of chickens, but more like having two quiet small dogs that hang about in the yard eating grass… they change their mind.

My happy urban hens provide me with quiet companionship, take care of my organic kitchen scraps, provide me with beautiful fertilizer for my compost and keep the bugs & weeds down in my garden. Is Calgary not entertaining an organic waste compost service? Urban hens could also help with that!

They are such a joy to have in the yard I could no longer imagine life without them!

I would like to take time to briefly address some of the concerns that have been raised, as most are a result of a lack of education. Hopefully city council will take the time to investigate the FACTS regarding the issues before giving in to unwarranted fears.

1. Birds will pass disease.
This argument is one based on fear. Are we going to kill all the crows, pigeons and magpies too? These birds are far more likely to pass disease. Chickens are not mobile like wild birds and are generally in good health when living in uncrowded conditions. Intensive livestock operations are where most animal diseases spread. A few backyard hens do not create even a fraction of the risk that Lilydale Poultry does.

2. Chickens are noisy.
The proposed pilot program would outline a maximum number of hens, no roosters allowed. Hens are generally very quiet, especially in small numbers. I have never received a noise complaint from my neighbors.

3. Chickens smell.
Proper position of coops in proximity to neighbors will solve this issue. There is zero smell coming from my backyard coop and I have also located it in the section of my yard furthest away from my neighbors as possible to ensure there is never a problem. I have never had a smell complaint. Two dogs not picked up after smell far worse than a few hens.

4. Chickens will decrease property values.
My neighbor’s ½ duplex home just sold for $780,000 and there was no concern over the neighbor’s (my) hens.

5. Who will pay for the pilot project and enforcement for complaints?
I would purchase license to keep my hens, I have to for my cat – it makes sense. In cities (like Victoria, BC.) that have already allowed urban hens, the largest complaint is from birds digging up a flower bed, something easily remedied.

6. There is no substantial savings on backyard eggs.
Cost is not always the issue. You can purchase organic, free run eggs – this does not mean they are produced humanely.

7. Chickens are a gateway animal.
It is outlandish to say that because Calgarian’s have chickens they will then move towards pigs and cows. I am not even going to validate this with a rebuttal.

I believe this issue will not go away. Many people realize that becoming detached from our food is having a very negative effect on our society, mainly the prevalent health problem of obesity in North America. Furthermore, as more people become aware of the horrendous conditions hens are kept in, more people will want to produce their own ethical eggs. This issue will not go away!

Calgary needs to join the other progressive cities in Canada and the U.S. and promote new ideas and healthier connections to our food. Let’s get back some of our western heritage!

Sincerely,

Brook ~A responsible urban hen owner.
--------------------------------------------
Further Reading:
-Urban Chickens on Trial: The Beginning
-Urban Chickens on Trial: The Decision
-Urban Chickens on Trial: Support the Appeal
-The Naturalist - An Urban Chicken Offender!



No comments:

Post a Comment