Monday, April 30, 2012

Urban Chicken Offender

source
Well.... It's 'Another Monday on the Homestead', and I have some not-so-great news to share...

I had a visit from the city bylaw this weekend, and after 3 peaceful years, someone finally reported my chickens, and I have been given a 30 day notice to have them removed.

The Offenders: Mayble & Gerty
Thankfully there is a current court case that could affect urban chicken laws throughout the country, a decision will be handed down May 9th 2012.
Soooo... if that goes well, my ladies aren't going anywhere! If it goes poorly, I am not sure what to do next.

It's just SO silly! I have two, quiet, useful egg & manure machines - that I just so happen to LOVE as pets! I don't understand why a backyard full of barking (possibly vicious) dogs is ok, and my choice in pets is not?

 View of the offending coop from back of the house.

--------------------------------------------
Further Reading:
-Urban Chickens on Trial: The Beginning
-Urban Chickens on Trial: The Decision
-Urban Chickens on Trial: Support the Appeal

No comments:

Post a Comment