Friday, August 10, 2012

Edible Wild Mushroom: Hericium ramosum

  Forage it - Cook it - Eat it!

So I found this beautiful fungus, Hericium ramosum, then I cooked it! It was not like any mushroom I had eaten before, and it was a great experience - I can't wait until I find more!

This mushroom is pretty safe for beginners, as there are no poisonous look-a-likes. You should only eat these when fresh, old specimens that have begun to decay will not taste good, and may upset your tummy. If you want to try and eat them, just do a bit of research first to familiarize yourself with the field characteristics. I highly recommend purchasing a mushroom field guide for your area before trying to eat ANY wild mushroom. I would never recommend a novice eat ANY wild mushroom based on a photo identification alone. Check out these mushrooms for others that can look similar to Hericium ramosum (pictured above):
Hericium coralloides
Hericium americanum
Hericium erinaceus

 

No comments:

Post a Comment