Friday, October 19, 2012

Green Tomato Salsa Verde

 
Since the frost came before all my tomatoes ripened... I decided to try a Green Tomato, Salsa Verde.

(ended up with about 30lbs of green tomatoes!)
If you wanted, you could store the green tomatoes and wait for them to ripen. Check out this article on different ways to get them to ripen faster. I set some aside for ripening, but I thought I should experiment with the bulk of them. Here is how this went down...

I gathered up my ingredients:
A whole bunch of green tomatoes (I used about 20 lbs)
2 large Yellow Onions
2 large Green Peppers
2 huge handfuls of Cilantro
3 Heads of Garlic
1 small handful Fresh Oregano
10 Jalapenos
4 Limes
Fresh Cracked Pepper
Ground Cumin (generous amount)
Salt (more than I would like to admit lol)

I apologize for not providing exact measurements. Unless I am baking,I don't stick to recipes - I use them as a 'guide'. If you need one, this recipe is very similar to what I put together.

OK - now for the basic steps:
I roughly chopped the tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, garlic, half of the jalapenos and cilantro; put it in a huge pot to cook down, and added a bit of salt.

After everything was fully cooked (over an hour), I added the rest of the jalapenos and blended it with an immersion blender to a "chunky puree" texture. Then I tasted it, and added a tbsp or so of pepper, a couple tbsp of cumin, the juice of 2 limes and LOTS more salt. I simmered the mixture for half hour to let the flavors mingle for a while. At the very end of cooking, I added the rest of the cilantro (finely chopped), and the rest of the lime juice, and topped up the cumin, pepper and salt to my liking.
A note on the high salt content: The salt mellows the acrid taste of the green tomatoes, so if you are not liking the flavor by this point - you need more salt.


It was perfect, and I was able to can 3 liters of salsa, and bring a large dish of it to a dinner party!
Click here for basic home canning steps - trust me, it's easier than you think!


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful recipe.
    I like your ideas (I read a few)
    Don't you have an Facebook page? I would have subscribed.

    Thanks and good luck!

    ReplyDelete