Monday, October 22, 2012

Saving Tomato Seeds



1. Pick vine ripened fruit from heirloom varieties. Try to select the fruit from your best plants if you have several to choose from. I purchased 3 different varieties of small tomatoes from the heirloom section at my local greenhouse; Sungold, Golden Pear, and Sunset Falls. Well I guess I should have looked a bit closer because it turns out the Sungold is an F1 hybrid - not the best thing to save seeds from, and this article explains why.

Since I am the adventurous type (and I had already saved the seeds) I am going to plant the Sungolds next spring and see what kind of surprise I get! I am not so much hopeful as I am curious....

2. Place perfectly ripe tomatoes in a mesh strainer that will be able to catch the seeds.


3. Mash tomatoes to release seeds


4. Rinse seeds well with cool water to remove the slimy stuff, and let dry.


5. Remove seeds from mesh, they can be a bit stuck. What I did was turn the strainer over and poked the seeds off with a tooth pick.


6. Place dried seeds into your DIY seed packets, click here to see that how easy it is to make them!



Next summer I will be sure to post a follow up, and let you know how my F1 hybrid Sungolds turned out.


No comments:

Post a Comment